Hydrogen Peroxide is an almost magical substance. It is in fresh rainwater, honey, seawater and even in mother’s milk. Chemically known as H2O2 – 2 molecules of hydrogen with 2 molecules of oxygen, it is the safest natural sanitizer. The extra oxygen molecule from which it differs from water makes all the difference. This oxygen molecule is very unstable. It is liberated as soon as it encounters viruses, bacteria and fungi, oxidizing them instantly. When this happens the substance breaks down to harmless water and oxygen.
You can add it to drinking water, clean wounds with it and wash your pet with it. Use it to replace chlorine bleach when sanitizing drinking and eating bowls.
How to use H2O2 with Pets. A 3% solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide can work wonders for pets. (It is best to avoid the drug store variety, which contains additives like stabilizers and preservatives.) You can spray it on wounds, skin infections and irritations. It works for insect bites, abscesses and as an ear swab. In fact, anywhere you suspect fungal or bacterial involvement should be given a dose of 3% hydrogen peroxide. The only caution is not to get it in the eyes.
Add 1 oz. 3% H2O2 to 1 quart of non-chlorinated drinking water for your pets. It will boost their immune system and help them deal with any infections. Use this for cats, dogs, horses, birds and farm animals. Use it to clean out fish tanks, as it is much safer than conventional bleach.
To clean cats and dogs dilute a 3% solution down to 1% by adding 2 parts non-chlorinated water. Soak a towel in this and wipe the animal down, avoiding the eye area.
Photo © Jim Mills – Fotolia.com